“Sastra Dana – The Gift of Knowledge” is the social outreach program of the African division of the Bhaktivedanta Book Trust (BBT). The program aims to provide the people of the African continent with a Vedic view of the world by creating access to Vedic literature. Additionally, it encourages a culture of reading, social cohesion, conscious living and the preservation of traditional languages within Africa. Derived from Sanskrit ‘Sastra Dana’ literally translated means ‘giving spiritual scripture in charity’ and was established in Johannesburg, South Africa, in 2009.
Giving the gift of knowledge in the form of Vedic literature to the African Continent.
Explore and expand spiritual frontiers through the distribution of Vedic Literature on the African Continent.
- Encourage a culture of reading, lifelong learning, social cohesion, conscious living and preservation of traditional languages within Africa.
- Provide people on the African Continent with an alternate lens to view the world through the placement of Vedic literature within their community.
- Explore new avenues to enable people to access and cultivate Vedic knowledge to discover their spiritual roots.
- Increase the footprint of Vedic knowledge on the African continent through the distribution of Bhaktivedanta Book Trust (BBT) publications.
To achieve these objectives, the project provides BBT literature (books and magazines) to organisations and individuals that will make these publications easily accessible to their communities. These beneficiaries include but are not limited to public libraries; libraries at schools, universities and prisons; old age homes and retirement villages; hospitals; community literacy projects or collections of a similar nature.
- How Sastra Dana Works:
- The project partners with various stakeholders from sponsors to recipients in order to place books and magazines where there is a need, interest and enthusiasm.
- By creating a conduit between benefactors and beneficiaries, Sastra Dana receives funding from corporate and non-profit organisations and philanthropists.
- This funding is then used to purchase and place books and magazines in institutions and within communities across Africa.
|Project:||Individual Organizations:||Countries:||Publications Distributed:||Years Active:|
|Library Project||500 Libraries |
(including Public libraries, Universities, Schools and Prisons)
|Old Age Homes and Retirement Villages Project||4 Old Age Homes||1||205||5 months|
If you like to get involved be it as a sponsor or recipient, you may contact Sastra Dana on: Phone: +27 67 303 8162, email: email@example.com